This page collects my growing collection of articles on how to make pens out of polymer clay.
Upcoming articles will include: how to effectively cover a pen, how to assemble a pen, do I really need a pen press, quick review of pen kits, different ways to cover a pen, what surface techniques work with covering pens, how to modify your clay techniques to work with pens, what makes a good and bad kaleidoscope for a pen, and more
Want to start making pens but not sure where to begin?
- Basic Pen Making Terms
- Translating Pen Turning Terms into Polymer Clay
- Minimum equipment to make a pen
- Quality of life equipment upgrades for pen making
Ready to start building your pen barrels?
Don’t have a lathe? How to get set up to finish a pen…:
New to working with CA glue? Some quick intro articles:
- CA Glue Basics
- CA Glue Safety: Fumes
- CA Glue Safety: Protecting Surfaces
- CA Glue Safety: Natural Materials
Ready to actually finish a pen? Learn about:
- How to sand a polymer clay pen
- Prep work before finishing with CA glue
- Finishing a polymer clay pen with CA glue
- Troubleshooting Pen Making: CA Glue
I am very grateful to Toni and Ed Street, whose artwork inspired me and who wrote the articles I used to learn when I was first stumbling through making pens. Without their generosity sharing information on https://www.claypenblanks.com/ I would not be making pens nearly as well as I am. My intent here is to supplement the information they have shared, and to write for polymer clay artists moving into making pens, rather than for woodworkers interested in learning a new medium.
Something else you would like an article on?